Thursday, February 20, 2014

Certainty in the midst of an uncertain time


Tuesday night (from internet)
just a few weeks ago
2 days ago (photo from internet)


Really at a loss of words on this whole situation in Kiev.  To think I was down on freedom square just a week or so ago taking pictures in what was then a peaceful protest.

Tuesday everything changed.  With a sudden out-break of violence and over 20 deaths on Tuesday alone it was clear that we were facing conflict at a new level.  I remained in disbelief--it felt surreal. I had really thought the worst of it was over in January.

On Tuesday public transportation (namely the subway) was shut down completely and today we've entered into day 3 of what feels like a city shut-down, as this city fully depends on underground transit to get to and from work.

Today began the panic of the possibility of the government instituting a state of emergency-- which would mean a full shut down of cell phones, internet, city life, etc.  There was a run on grocery stores and gas stations today that I witnessed as well. Everyone wanting to make sure they have a week's supply of food.

Most news sources are pegging this as an east/west conflict or saying that this is a civil war.  In reality this is about the Ukrainian people reacting to their corrupt government and demanding for a change and to be heard.  In my opinion this is not a civil war.  This is the government killing it's own citizens who were peacefully protesting. It's not the common people vs. the common people-- that would be a civil war. 

I've been spending way too much time online and watching the TV news reports.  I am overwhelmed by the numbers I'm seeing and reading...one site saying that perhaps 100 people were killed today alone.  I can't wrap my mind around that.  100 lives. 100 people that belong to someone. Literally only 2 miles from where I am now.  It is surreal to wrap my mind around.

I admit I've been spending more time reading fear inducing articles then on my knees praying-- as I keep asking others to do.  I think I just feel helpless...and so I just sit stuck in front of my computer screen.  The situation also causes you to feel like you are trapped in limbo.  There are so many plans that have been put on hold, so many uncertainties for what will happen next.  Do we keep planning and working as normal? Do events planned for next week take place? Do I go forward with travel plans? What about next month? Do we pause and wait?  It is a very challenging place to be in.

If anything this crisis reminds me that we need to hold ALL our plans loosely.

Most of our lives (especially in the western world) we live as if tomorrow is a guarantee and we make plans as such, probably because we've lived lives that for the most part have proved certain.  Yet now more then ever I am reminded of the scripture in James 4 that says "You do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.""

Only one thing remains certain today. Jesus is Lord and He alone remains our hope in the midst of the panic and confusion that the world is screaming over the airwaves.  I have to keep reminding myself of that.  My plans are not certain.  The future of this nation is not certain. Nothing really is. But Jesus is certain. He remains Lord and in that alone I can find my peace.


Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. (Ephesians 6:18)

Time to turn the computer off, and be on my knees for this nation, trusting in a God who alone can bring resolution where people have failed....

7 comments:

Pam DeFrees said...

I am not 2 miles away but I am feeling the exact, exact same way. Even about plans, Even the fact that I am spending so much time watching the computer and status updates and videos to see what it happening to my dear friends and family in Ukraine. I love the people and "my kids" in Ukraine and I find myself posting "pray for Ukraine" updates instead of being on my knees. I plan to go to Odessa this summer but after what happen there yesterday, I don't know what to plan. My heart breaks for the families who are losing loved ones. I am praying.May God change the hearts of this government and of the people who are senselessly killing.

Pam DeFrees said...

fI am not 2 miles away but I am feeling the exact, exact same way. Even about plans, Even the fact that I am spending so much time watching the computer and status updates and videos to see what it happening to my dear friends and family in Ukraine. I love the people and "my kids" in Ukraine and I find myself posting "pray for Ukraine" updates instead of being on my knees. I plan to go to Odessa this summer but after what happen there yesterday, I don't know what to plan. My heart breaks for the families who are losing loved ones. I am praying.May God change the hearts of this government and of the people who are senselessly killing.

Dianne said...

Praying, dear Karen, for peace in the square, peace in your city, in your nation, in the hearts of those who know and love the Lord ... and for miraculous moments only He can bring about that will draw more to Him, too. Hugs to you tonight!

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for everyone in Ukraine. I cannot imagine the feeling of war in my own city. I will keep posting so that Ukrainians know they are not alone and we will make sure their plight is heard!

Tami said...

Praying for you and all of Ukraine, Karen. I can't imagine the uncertainty you're feeling right now, but God does. He's got you. ((Hugs))

Chris B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris B. said...

I can’t explain why I have begun to care so deeply about kids without parents in general and Ukraine in particular, but I do. Seeing the Ukrainian government attack, kill and beat its own citizens is horrifying. It’s like Nazi Germany or the old Soviet Union. We need to remember that this could happen here in the U.S. Our prayers and our hearts go out to the Ukrainian people. I asked several people to follow “Beauty from the ashes” in hopes that the more people who are informed about what is going on, the more people will be praying, the more God will work in this. It’s shocking. We’ll pray for your family also. I can not imagine how people who are planning to adopt from Ukraine are feeling. I’m sure there are some over there right now in the midst of this. My heart goes out to them. I fear that there will be more homeless kids, more fatherless children and the kids will be the victims here no matter what happens. Kneeling beside you in prayer.