Friday, August 29, 2008

Some "Lighter" Moments of Summer Camp in Ukraine

I have to take a few moments to a post a new entry that I should be naming "things you need to choose to laugh at or else you may get frustrated"- but that didn't have the same ring to it as the phrase "lighter moments." Following is a photographic glimpse of some of the more humorous (and sometimes not so pretty) moments experienced at our camps this summer. Enjoy!


This was where Mary Lynn, Amanda and I slept for a week...this picture makes it look more luxurious then it was.


Why squat alone when you can do it with a friend near by? Shall we say moral support? Welcome to our toilets at our Kherson Camp.


That degree in theatre has really paid off. Now I get to entertain groups of kids in a giant blue suit.



Pick your currency in the form of a cookie. US dollars, Euros and Ukrainian grivnas! With the falling rate of the dollar I think I'll go with the Euro please!

My friends assured me that a little protein with your morning cream of wheat does not do any harm! Ahh well...they eat them in Africa right?


You never know when you will stumble across a cow in the country...this one was getting a little too friendly.


Sala...a Ukrainian delicasy. Sala = pure lard. This is the one thing this girl chooses to pass on-- can't quite stomach this tasty Ukrainian treat--even if they call me crazy!

Now that was fun wasn't it?! Any volunteers for next summer? :)

3 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

I volunteer...but not for sala. That's too extreme for me. :-)

Annie said...

Hey! My degree was in theatre too! Serves one well, I have found - in so many ways!

The Sala would be something I'd pass on, too.

I adore those money cookies! What fun.

Heidi and Felix said...

Ahh, Karen, you're too funny! The toilet picture made me laugh out loud here at work. My coworkers still don't believe it when I tell them what it's for!

Hope to see you soon...we got submitted. Save some ants for me! :)

~Felix~